Spending federal funds within the allowed timelines is essential to meeting the purposes of IDEA but can be a challenge for many states. This new Quick Reference Guide on the Timely Expenditure of IDEA Funds helps state staff and others understand obligation and liquidation requirements and timelines, the grant funding cycle, and oversight responsibilities, including:
- Why is the timely expenditure of IDEA grant funds important?
- What can a state do to ensure the timely expenditure of IDEA grant funds?
- How long are IDEA funds available?
- When are IDEA funds considered obligated?
- Are there exceptions or extensions to the grant period?