|Overview||Introduction||Purpose & Vision||Data Governance & Management||Stakeholder Engagement||System Design||Data Use||Sustainability|
Subcomponent: Purpose and Vision (PV)
Purpose and vision is The mission, usage, and goals of the data system(s) serving Part C and Section 619.
Introduction: A high-quality data system serving Part C and Section 619 programs must have a clearly articulated purpose and vision—that is, the mission, usage, and goals of the data system. An effective purpose statement succinctly describes the reasons for building the data system and its short-term benefits, including the scope of the system and how key stakeholders are expected to use it. The vision statement is an aspirational description of how the data system will help support the long-term state goal of improving outcomes for young children with disabilities. The vision statement should not focus on the data system itself, but rather on how information* will be used to address the state’s early intervention and preschool special education policy and program goals.
Purpose and vision of the data system provide the state staff with guidance for every phase of data system development and enhancement. In addition to providing direction for key stakeholders, a well-articulated purpose and vision enables states to maintain the intended scope of work while planning for expansion and use of the data system over time.
Simply click on the green links for each Quality Indicator and Element of Quality to view lists of related resources.
- PV1a. The Part C/619 state program has a purpose and vision for its data system, either as a formal written statement, or embedded in other documents related to the data system (e.g., minutes, notes, procedures).
- PV1b. Part C/619 state staff obtain input about the purpose and vision of the data system from stakeholders.
- PV1c. A statement of the data system’s purpose and vision is readily accessible (e.g., available on the website, in a parent handbook).
- PV1d. Part C/619 state staff review and revise the data system’s purpose and vision as needed with stakeholders to ensure its continued relevance.
- PV2a. The purpose and vision of the data system guide decision-making about who uses the system, what general kinds of data to include (e.g., fiscal, workforce, outcomes), and how the data are used.
- PV2b. The purpose and vision of the data system address meeting IDEA reporting requirements and other state and federal data requirements.
- PV2c. The purpose and vision of the data system address accountability, program improvement, and program operations, including the state’s key program and policy questions.
- PV2d. The purpose and vision of the data system address linking Part C and Section 619 data.
- PV2e. The purpose and vision of the Part C/619 state data system include integrating information* from early childhood programs and agencies as well as participation in the broader State Longitudinal Data System (SLDS) efforts.