A Toolkit for IDEA Part C and Part B 619 Stakeholders
State lead agencies for IDEA Part C (early intervention) and Part B 619 (early childhood special education) programs partner with stakeholders for many purposes, including collaborating on program improvement initiatives and preparing annual reports on program implementation. Data play a role in virtually every aspect of the administration of IDEA Part C and Part B 619 programs. This toolkit orients Part C and Part B 619 stakeholders to IDEA data and other data-related topics to help them meaningfully participate in conversations about programmatic issues and decisions.
- Part C and 619 staff are encouraged to share this toolkit with stakeholders as a self-guided resource and/or use it with stakeholders in a facilitated manner.
- Stakeholders can build upon the introductory knowledge gained from using this toolkit by seeking opportunities to learn more about their states’ IDEA data.
- Participating in conversations about how their state collects, analyzes, and uses data to improve results for children and families will provide stakeholders with a deeper understanding of the topics addressed in this toolkit.
- The Introduction (first tile below) provides general information on how to use the toolkit.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that each state establish a State Interagency Coordinating Council (SICC) for the purpose of advising the Part C lead agency in the implementation of its early intervention program. Depending on the state, the scope of the SICC may include the Part B 619 program. Similarly, IDEA requires that each state establish a State Advisory Panel (SAP) to advise on the implementation of Part B (ages 3-21) special education programs. Stakeholders represented on SICCs and SAPs include but are not limited to:
- Local service providers
- Personnel preparation representatives (e.g., faculty from institutions of higher education)
- Staff from programs that partner with Part C and Part B 619 to serve children with disabilities and their families throughout the community, e.g., public health programs
Connections to DaSy Data System Framework
Stakeholder Engagement Subcomponent/Quality Indicator 2b: Part C/619 state staff provide stakeholders with the necessary information to provide input on the issues or decisions under consideration.
Data Use Subcomponent/Quality Indicator 6a: Part C/619 state staff or representatives provide multiple resources and tools for a variety of data users to facilitate access to data and to support data use.
If you require an accommodation to access any DaSy Resource, please contact DaSy.